On Wednesday (9/20/17), Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb announced the recipients of the 2017 Community Crossroads Grants.
Switzerland County received one of the largest amounts of any other community or county in the state, with a grant of $869,850.
The basics of the program is that any county or municipality had to apply for the funds for INDOT approved projects for infrastructure improvements in their county or town. Once approved, these funds would pay 75% of the total cost of the improvements, leaving the local community to pay 25%.
We talked with Switzerland County Commissioner Josh South to find out what the county spent or will spend that money on. The county entered 11 projects on their application for the grant, totaling over $1.5 million of improvements. They included bridge repairs and replacements, paving projects, slide repairs and chip/seal materials. Of the 11 project, the state covered 75% of 8 projects, thus saving the county just shy of $290,000 in infrastructure improvements.
The county applied for:
Bridge #26 repairs (Log Lick Road) – estimated cost $76,500 — cost after grant $19,125
Re-paving Pleasant Grove Road – estimated cost $177,375 – cost after grant $44,343.75
Re-paving Plum Creek Road – estimated cost $210,925 — cost after grant $158,193.75
Repair slide on Spring Branch Rd. – estimated cost $40,000 — cost after grant $30,000
Repair slide on North Branch Rd. – estimated cost $40,000 — cost after grant $30,000
Repair 4 slides on Markland Pike – estimated cost $150,000 — cost after grant $112,500
Repair slide on Culberson Road – estimated cost $45,000 — cost after grant $33,750
Bridge #08 replacement (Pendelton Run Road) – estimated cost $420,000 — cost after grant $315,000
The county submitted the following, but were not granted the 75% funds…
Bridge #35 rehabilitation (Quercus Grove Road) – estimated cost $90,000
Repair 3 slides on Fishing Worm Ridge – estimated cost $70,000
Chip & Seal (14 roads) – estimated cost $200,000